[ale] mandrake9 w/ cdrom access problem

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Oct 9 11:50:16 EDT 2002

Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 October 2002 10:33 pm, miguel wrote:
>
>>hello ale,
>>
>>installed mdrk9, i log in as user mig, but cannot access /mnt/cdrom,
>>i click on the cdrom icon and get
>>"uanble to enter file:/mnt/cdrom ", you do not have access rights to
>>this location.
>>same applies to /mnt/floppy
>>

>>ls -la /mnt is
>>
>>drwxrwxrwx  root root
>>
>>cat /etc/fstab is
>>
>>...snip..
>>/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount
>>dev=/dev/hdc,fs=iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
>

> that is a very strange line.  Usually, the first field is the device.
> Try changing /mnt/cdrom to /dev/cdrom

Here is what I have in my fstab for mdk 9.0 and it works fine:

none /mnt/cdrom supermount
dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

Obviously, it's on a single line, but it wrapped in the email.

I don't use a desktop icon to access it though.  I can drop a cd in then
access it simply by 'cd /mnt/cdrom' in an xterm.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net