[ale] using the power of two computers

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Mon Oct 7 13:25:12 EDT 2002

Actually, the Mosix patch has to be applied to *all* machines in the
cluster.  Although Mosix isn't generally intended to be used as a
desktop machine enhancement, there's no reason why you can't put X on
one machine and run it that way (you might have to do something to
prevent migration of your X/WM processes - read up as much as you can).
Doing something like this won't help everybody, but if a great deal of
your day is spent compiling kernels or other big piles of code, it's
certainly worth thinking about.

And don't laugh re the "army of 486es" - If you work up a farm of 25-50
of them, think about how wide your I/O pipe is...

- Jeff