[ale] [OT] Interesting Take on MS Programming Tools

Jeff Rose jojerose at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 26 11:52:31 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 10:13, Dennany, Jerome {D177~Roswell} wrote:
> Besides the company that manufactures VS.NET, could you tell me what you actually dislike about the tool itself?
>
> Jerry

Well the Eula specifically states that if you use key components of
.Net, specifically libraries and the CRT I believe, you may not port
your program to any non-Windows platform.  Noone is going to program in
VS.Net and not use one of the components.  Thus using VS.Net will lock
your application into the Windows world.  I think you would be insane to
develop a program in VS.Net unless you knew in advance that you would
never want to port it.

directly from the EULA on disc 1 of VS.Net
"	3.1 Redistributable Code-Standard.

	(a) If you are authorized and choose to redistribute Sample Code,
Redistributable Code, VC Redistributables, or Limited Use
Redistributable Code (collectively, the "Redistributables") as described
in Section 2, you agree: (i) except as otherwise noted in
Section 2.1 (Sample Code), to distribute the Redistributables only in
object code form and in conjunction with and as a part of a software
application product developed by you that adds significant and primary
functionality to the Redistributables ("Licensed Product"); (ii) that
the Redistributables only operate in conjunction with Microsoft Windows
platforms; (iii) not to use Microsoft's name, logo, or trademarks to
market the Licensed Product; (iv) to display your own valid copyright
notice which shall be sufficient to protect Microsoft's copyright in the
Product; (v) not to remove or obscure any copyright, trademark, or
patent notices that appear on the Product as delivered to you; (vi) to
indemnify, hold harmless, and defend Microsoft from and against any
claims or lawsuits, including attorney's fees, that arise or result from
the use or distribution of the Licensed Product; (vii) otherwise comply
with the terms of this EULA; and (viii) agree that Microsoft reserves
all rights not expressly granted. "

	If I remember correctly it prohibits you from using VS.Net to make an
application that directly competes with Access!  What's next Word?
Excel? SQL Server?  Windows Media Player?

again from the EULA
	"(a) "Jet" Files or MSDE. If you redistribute the "Jet Files" (as
identified in the Product ) or MSDE (individually or collectively, the
"MS DB Files"), you agree to comply with the following additional
requirements: (i) your Licensed Product shall not  substantially
duplicate the capabilities of Microsoft Access or, in the reasonable
opinion of Microsoft, compete with same; and (ii) unless your Licensed
Product requires your customers to license Microsoft Access in order to
operate, you shall not reproduce or use any of the MS DB Files for
commercial distribution in conjunction with a general-purpose word
processing, spreadsheet, or database management software product, or an
integrated work or product suite whose components include a
general-purpose word processing, spreadsheet, or database management
software product except for the exclusive use of importing data to the
various formats supported by Microsoft Access. Note: A product that
includes limited word processing, spreadsheet, or database components
along with other components which provide significant and primary value,
such as an accounting product with limited spreadsheet capability, is
not considered to be a "general-purpose" product."

sounds like they are protecting Office to me.

	And of course you may not use GPL, oh excuse me 'Identified Software'.

	"(b) If you use the Redistributables, or the "Sample Code" or
"Redistributable Code" portions of the SDK Software (as described in
Section 4.2(b) (all of the foregoing referred to in this paragraph as
the "Licensed Software"), then in addition to your compliance with the
applicable distribution requirements described for the Licensed
Software, the following also applies. Your license rights to the
Licensed Software are conditioned upon your (i) not incorporating
Identified Software into or combining Identified Software with the
Licensed Software or a derivative work thereof; (ii) not distributing
Identified Software in conjunction with the Licensed Software or a
derivative work thereof; and (iii) not using Identified Software in the
development of a derivative work of the Licensed Software.
"Identified Software" means software which is licensed pursuant to terms
that directly or indirectly (A) create, or purport to create,
obligations for Microsoft with respect to the Licensed Software or
derivative work thereof or (B) grant, or purport to grant, to any third
party any rights or immunities under Microsoft's intellectual property
or proprietary rights in the Licensed Software or derivative work
thereof. Identified Software includes, without limitation, any software
that requires as a condition of use, modification, and/or distribution
of such software that other software incorporated into, derived from,
or
distributed with such software be (1) disclosed or distributed in source
code form; (2) be licensed for the purpose of making derivative works;
or (3) be redistributable at no charge."

	So you are limited as to what you can develop, what platforms you can
use and the license you use.  So long as competition, Linux and the GPL
aren't important to you, I'd say VS.Net is the perfect choice.

Attached is the entire EULA
--
Jeff Rose

jojerose at mindspring.com

END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR MICROSOFT SOFTWARE

IMPORTANT-READ CAREFULLY: This End-User License Agreement ("EULA") is a legal agreement between you (either an individual or a single entity) and Microsoft Corporation for the Microsoft software product identified above, which includes computer software and may include associated media, printed materials, "online" or electronic documentation, and Internet-based services ("Product"). An amendment or addendum to this EULA may accompany the Product.  NOTE: THE TERMS OF THIS END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT SUPERCEDE THE TERMS OF ANY LICENSE AGREEMENT THAT MAY BE CONTAINED IN THE PRODUCT. YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS EULA BY INSTALLING, COPYING, OR OTHERWISE USING THE PRODUCT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE, DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE PRODUCT; YOU MAY RETURN IT TO YOUR PLACE OF PURCHASE FOR A FULL REFUND.

SOFTWARE PRODUCT LICENSE

1. GRANTS OF LICENSE. Microsoft grants you the rights described in this EULA provided that you comply with all terms and conditions of this EULA. NOTE: Microsoft is not licensing to you any rights with respect to Crystal Reports for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET; your use of Crystal Reports for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET is subject to your acceptance of the terms and conditions of the enclosed (hard copy) end user license agreement from Crystal Decisions for that product (a soft copy of the Crystal Decisions end user license agreement can also be found in the following folder:
\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Crystal Reports\license.txt.).

	1.1 General License Grant. Microsoft grants to you as an individual, a personal, nonexclusive license to make and use copies of the Product for the purposes of designing, developing, and testing your software product(s), provided that you are the only individual using the Product.

If you are an entity, Microsoft grants to you a personal, nonexclusive license to make and use copies of the Product, provided that for each individual within your organization using the Product in the manner described above, you have acquired a separate and valid license for each such individual.

	1.2 Academic Edition Software. The Product is provided to you as an Academic Edition. You must be a "Qualified Educational User" to use the Product in the manner described in this EULA. To determine whether you are a Qualified Educational User, please contact the Microsoft Sales Information Center/One Microsoft Way/Redmond, WA 98052-6399 or the Microsoft subsidiary serving your country.

If you are a Qualified Educational User, you may either:
	(a) exercise the rights granted in Section 1.1, OR

	(b) if you intend to use the Product solely for instructional purposes in connection with a class or other educational program, this EULA grants you the following alternative license models.

		(i) Per Computer Model. For every valid license you have acquired for the Product, you may install a single copy of the Product on a single computer for access and use by an unlimited number of student end users at your educational institution, provided that all such end users comply with all other terms of this EULA, OR

		(ii) Per License Model. If you have multiple licenses for the Product, then at any time you may have as many copies of the Product in use as you have licenses, provided that such use is limited to student or faculty end users at your educational institution and provided that all such end users comply with all other terms of this EULA. For purposes of this subsection, the Product is "in use" on a computer when it is loaded into the temporary memory (i.e., RAM) or installed into the permanent memory (e.g., hard disk, CD-ROM, or other storage device) of that computer, except that a copy installed on a network server for the sole purpose of distribution to other computers is not "in use." If the anticipated number of users of the Product will exceed the number of applicable licenses, then you must have a reasonable mechanism or process in place to ensure that the number of persons using the Product concurrently does not exceed the number of licenses.

	1.3 Documentation. You may make and use an unlimited number of copies of any documentation, provided that such copies shall be used only for personal purposes and are not to be republished or distributed (either in hard copy or electronic form) beyond your premises.

	1.4 Web Stress Functionality/ACT Tool. If included with the edition of the Product you have acquired with this EULA, then as provided in the corresponding Product documentation, you have the ability to use the component of the Product identified as the Applications Center Test ("ACT Tool") to perform stress tests against Web sites in its default mode (which is to honor any "robots.txt" files it may encounter) or to set the ACT Tool to not honor any "robots.txt" files it may encounter when performing its stress tests. The use of the ACT Tool by you in the non-default mode is entirely your responsibility and at your sole risk. Before you use the ACT Tool with any third party property, you should consult with such third party or the agreement governing the use of such property to determine whether or not such use is permitted.

	1.5 Use of Additional Microsoft Visio Network Equipment Shapes. If included with the edition of the Product you have acquired with this EULA, Microsoft Visio Enterprise Network Tools provided with Microsoft Visio for Visual Studio Enterprise Architect may enable you to obtain certain additional Microsoft Visio shapes from Microsoft, such as from a Microsoft Web site. Microsoft Visio Network Equipment shapes that you obtain by use of Microsoft Visio Network Tools will be considered part of the Product and governed by this EULA unless they are accompanied by a separate license agreement in which case such separate license agreement will govern your use of the Microsoft Visio Network Equipment shapes.

	1.6 Storage/Network Use. You may also store or install a copy of the Product on a storage device, such as a network server, used only to install or run the Product on computers used by a licensed end user in accordance with Section 1.1. A single license for the Product may not be shared or used concurrently by other end users.

	1.7 Visual Studio-Effect of EULA. This Section 1.7 also applies if the Product is Microsoft Visual Studio, a suite of development tools and other software programs (each such tool or software program, a "Component"). Components that you receive as part of the Product
may include a separate End-User License Agreement (each, a "Component EULA"). Except as provided in Section 4 and Section 6 ("Prerelease Code"), in the event of inconsistencies between this EULA and any Component EULA, the terms of this EULA shall control.

2. ADDITIONAL LICENSE RIGHTS-REDISTRIBUTABLE CODE. In addition to the rights granted in Section 1, certain portions of the Product, as described in this Section 2, are provided to you with additional license rights. These additional license rights are conditioned upon your compliance with the distribution requirements and license restrictions described in Section 3 that correspond to the type of redistributable files you choose to use and redistribute.

	2.1 Sample Code. Microsoft grants you the right to use and modify the source code version of those portions of the Product identified as "Samples" in REDIST.TXT or elsewhere in the Product ("Sample Code") for the sole purposes of designing, developing, and testing
your software product(s), and to reproduce and distribute the Sample Code, along with any modifications thereof, in object and/or source code form. For applicable redistribution requirements for Sample Code, see Section 3.1 below.

	2.2 Redistributable Code-Standard. Microsoft grants you a nonexclusive, royalty-free right to reproduce and distribute the object code form of any portion of the Product listed in REDIST.TXT ("Redistributable Code"). For applicable redistribution requirements for
Redistributable Code, see Section 3.1, below. NOTE: Redistributable Code includes certain files that are identified as "Limited Use Redistributable Code" or "Extended Use Redistributable Code." These files are also subject to: (a) for Limited Use Redistributable
Code, the license grant in Section 2.3, and redistribution requirements described in Section 3.3 below; or (b) the additional rights described in Section 3.2 for Extended Use Redistributable Code.

	2.3 Redistributable Code-Limited Use. Microsoft grants you a nonexclusive, royalty-free right to reproduce and distribute the object code form of those portions of the Product listed in REDIST.TXT as Limited Use Redistributable Code, and/or the Microsoft Data Engine technology ("MSDE") (collectively, the "Limited Use Redistributable Code"). For applicable redistribution requirements for Limited Use Redistributable Code, see Sections 3.1 and 3.3 below.

	2.4 Redistributable Code-Visual C++ and Visual Studio: Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC), Template Libraries (ATL), and C runtimes (CRTs). If this EULA accompanies Visual C++ or Visual Studio, then in addition to the rights granted in Section 1, Microsoft grants you the right to use and modify the source code version of those portions of the Product that are identified as MFC, ATL, or CRTs (collectively, the "VC Redistributables"), for the sole purposes of designing, developing, and testing your software product(s). Provided you comply with Section 3.1 and you rename any files created by you that are included in the Licensed Product (defined below), Microsoft grants you a nonexclusive, royalty-free right to reproduce and distribute the object code version of the VC Redistributables, including any
modifications you make. For purposes of this section, "modifications" shall mean enhancements to the functionality of the VC Redistributables. For applicable redistribution requirements for VC Redistributables, see Section 3.1 below.

3. LICENSE RESTRICTIONS-DISTRIBUTION REQUIREMENTS. If you choose to exercise your rights under Section 2, any redistribution by you requires compliance with the following terms, as appropriate.

[...]

You also agree not to permit further distribution of the Redistributables by your end users except: (1) you may permit further redistribution of the Redistributables by your distributors to your end-user customers if your distributors only distribute the
Redistributables in conjunction with, and as part of, the Licensed Product and you and your distributors comply with all other terms of this EULA; and (2) in the manner described in Section 3.2.

[...]

	3.2 Redistributable Code-Extended Use. You may permit your end users to reproduce and distribute the object code form of certain portions of the Product (as listed in REDIST.TXT as "Extended Use Redistributable Code") only in conjunction with and part of a Licensed Product and/or Web page that adds significant and primary functionality to the Extended Use Redistributable Code. You are authorized to exercise the foregoing rights provided that:

	(a) you comply with Section 3.1, and

	(b) your end user agrees to: (i) distribute the Extended Use Redistributable Code in object code only in conjunction with and as a part of a software application product developed by them that adds significant and primary functionality to the Extended Use
Redistributable Code; (ii) not use Microsoft's name, logo, or trademarks to market the End-User Application; (iii) display their own valid copyright notice which shall be sufficient to protect Microsoft's copyright in the Extended Use Redistributable Code;
(iv) indemnify, hold harmless, and defend Microsoft from and against any claims or lawsuits, including attorney's fees, that arise or result from the use or distribution of the End-User Application; (v) comply with the terms of Section 3.1(b); and (vi) not permit further distribution of the Extended Use Redistributable Code by the user of the End-User Application.

	3.3 Redistributable Code-Limited Use. If you are authorized and choose to redistribute Limited Use Redistributable Code, in addition to the terms of Section 3.1, you must also comply with the following.

	(a) "Jet" Files or MSDE. If you redistribute the "Jet Files" (as identified in the Product ) or MSDE (individually or collectively, the "MS DB Files"), you agree to comply with the following additional requirements: (i) your Licensed Product shall not  substantially duplicate the capabilities of Microsoft Access or, in the reasonable opinion of Microsoft, compete with same; and (ii) unless your Licensed Product requires your customers to license Microsoft Access in order to operate, you shall not reproduce or use any of the MS DB Files for commercial distribution in conjunction with a general-purpose word processing, spreadsheet, or database management software product, or an integrated work or product suite whose components include a general-purpose word processing, spreadsheet, or database management software product except for the exclusive use of importing data to the various formats supported by Microsoft Access. Note: A product that includes limited word processing, spreadsheet, or database components along with other components which provide significant and primary value, such as an accounting product with limited spreadsheet capability, is not considered to be a "general-purpose" product.

	(b) Microsoft Data Access Components. If you redistribute the Microsoft Data Access Component file identified as MDAC_TYP.EXE, you also agree to redistribute such file in object code only in conjunction with and as a part of a Licensed Product developed by you
with a Microsoft development tool product that adds significant and primary functionality to MDAC_TYP.EXE.

4. MICROSOFT SERVER COMPONENTS FOR DEVELOPMENT USE. The Product may include certain of Microsoft Server products (collectively, the "Server Components") provided for your use solely in conjunction with the design, development, and testing of software products created
by you; the Server Components may not be used in a production environment. Your use of the Server Components is subject to the terms and conditions of this EULA, the terms of which supersede those of any End-User License Agreements contained in the Server Components. There are two exceptions to the foregoing: the Server Components identified as Microsoft SQL Server Developer Edition and BizTalk Server Developer Edition contain End-User License Agreements that govern your use of those specific Server Components. For all other Server Components, the following rights and restrictions apply.

	4.1 Installation and Grant of License. The Server Components consist of software programs that provide services or functionality on a computer capable of running the server software ("Server Software"; the computer running the Server Software shall be referred to
as the "Server.") and software programs that allow an electronic device (a "Device") to access or utilize the services or functionality provided by the Server Software ("Client Software").

	(a) Server Software. Solely for purposes of designing, developing, and testing your software product(s) you may make, use, and install the Server Software for any individual Server Component on any number of Servers. All components of the Server Software for
any one Server Component, however, may only be installed and used on one and the same Server. The Server Software may not be used as the software on the server that supports your development of software product(s) (e.g., as a repository for source code).

	(b) Client Software. You may make, use, and install the Client Software on any number of Devices for use by others, provided that such use is solely in conjunction with the design, development, and testing of software products created by you that operate in
conjunction with the Server Software.

	4.2 Other Rights and Restrictions Regarding the Server Components.

	(a) Windows 2000 Server. The Server Software for the Server Component identified as Windows 2000 Server may be used by no more than four (4) processors of the Server at any one time.

	(b) Use of Redistributable Software ("SDK Software"). If included as part of a Server Component, you may install and use copies of the SDK Software on one or more computers located at your premises solely for the purpose of building applications that work in conjunction with the Server Software that accompanies the corresponding SDK Software ("Applications"). You may modify the Sample Code (identified in the "samples" directories) to design, develop, and test your Applications, and may reproduce and use the Sample Code, as modified, on one or more computers located at your premises. You may also reproduce and distribute the Sample Code, along with any modifications you make thereto (for purposes of this section, "modifications" shall mean enhancements to the functionality of the Sample Code), and any other files that may be listed and identified in a REDIST.TXT file as "redistributable" (collectively, the "Redistributable Code"), provided that you comply with the terms of Section 3.1 above.

5. DESCRIPTION OF OTHER RIGHTS AND LIMITATIONS.

	5.1 Not For Resale Software. If the Product is labeled "Not For Resale" or "NFR," then you may not resell, or otherwise transfer for value, the Product.

	5.2 Limitations on Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, and Disassembly. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Product, except and only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.

	5.3 Rental. You may not rent, lease, or lend the Product.

	5.4 Trademarks. This EULA does not grant you any rights in connection with any trademarks or service marks of Microsoft.

	5.5 Consent to Use of Data. You agree that Microsoft and its affiliates may collect and use technical information gathered as part of the product support services provided to you, if any, related to the Product. Microsoft may use this information solely to improve our products or to provide customized services or technologies to you and will not disclose this information in a form that personally identifies you.

	5.6 Software Transfer. The initial user of the Product may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and Product only directly to an end user. This transfer must include all of the Product (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). Such transfer may not be by way of consignment or any other indirect transfer. The transferee of such one-time transfer must agree to comply with the terms of this EULA, including the obligation not to
further transfer this EULA and Product.

	5.7 Separation of Components. The Product is licensed as a single product. Its component parts may not be separated for use by more than one user.

	5.8 Termination. Without prejudice to any other rights, Microsoft may terminate this EULA if you fail to comply with the terms and conditions of this EULA. In such event, you must destroy all copies of the Product and all of its component parts.

       5.9	Benchmark Testing. You may not disclose the results of any benchmark test of the .NET Framework component of the Product to any third party without Microsoft's prior written approval.

6. PRERELEASE CODE. Portions of the Product may be identified as prerelease code ("Prerelease Code"). Such Prerelease Code is not at the level of performance and compatibility of the final, generally available product offering. The Prerelease Code may not operate correctly and may be substantially modified prior to first commercial shipment. Microsoft is not obligated to make this or any later version of the Prerelease Code commercially available. The grant of license to use Prerelease Code expires upon availability of a commercial release of the Prerelease Code from Microsoft. NOTE: In the event that Prerelease Code contains a separate End-User License Agreement, the terms
and conditions of such End-User License Agreement shall govern your use of the corresponding Prerelease Code.

7. UPGRADES. To use a Product identified as an upgrade, you must first be licensed for the product identified by Microsoft as eligible for the upgrade. After upgrading, you may no longer use the product that formed the basis for your upgrade eligibility.You may use the resulting upgraded product only in accordance with the terms of this EULA. If the Product is an upgrade of a component of a package of software programs that you licensed as a single product, the Product may be used and transferred only as part of that single product package and may not be separated for use by more than one end user.

8. DOWNGRADES. Instead of installing and using the Product, you may install and use one copy of an earlier version of the Product, provided that you completely remove such earlier version and install the original Product within a reasonable time. Your use of such earlier version shall be governed by this EULA, and your rights to use such earlier version shall terminate when you install the original Product.

9. LIMITED WARRANTY FOR PRODUCT ACQUIRED IN THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA.
Except with respect to the Redistributables, which are provided "AS IS," without warranty of any kind, Microsoft warrants that the Product will perform substantially in accordance with the accompanying materials for a period of ninety days from the date of receipt. If an implied warranty or condition is created by your state/jurisdiction and federal or state/provincial law prohibits disclaimer of it, you also have an implied warranty or condition, BUT ONLY AS TO DEFECTS DISCOVERED DURING THE PERIOD OF THIS LIMITED WARRANTY (NINETY DAYS). AS TO ANY DEFECTS DISCOVERED AFTER THE NINETY (90)-DAY PERIOD, THERE IS NO WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF ANY KIND. Some states/jurisdictions do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty or condition lasts, so the above limitation may not apply to you.
Any supplements or updates to the Product, including without limitation, any (if any) service packs or hot fixes provided to you after the expiration of the ninety day Limited Warranty period are not covered by any warranty or condition, express, implied, or statutory.

LIMITATION ON REMEDIES; NO CONSEQUENTIAL OR OTHER DAMAGES. Your exclusive remedy for any breach of this Limited Warranty is as set forth below. Except for any refund elected by Microsoft, YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ANY DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES, if the Product does not meet Microsoft's Limited Warranty, and, to the maximum extent allowed by applicable law, even if any remedy fails of its essential purpose. The terms of Section 11 below ("Exclusion of Incidental, Consequential, and Certain Other Damages") are also incorporated into this Limited Warranty. Some states/jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This Limited Warranty gives you specific legal rights. You may have others which vary from state/jurisdiction to state/jurisdiction.

YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY. Microsoft's and its suppliers' entire liability and your exclusive remedy shall be, at Microsoft's option from time to time exercised subject to applicable law, (a) return of the price paid (if any) for the Product, or (b) repair or replacement of the Product, that does not meet this Limited Warranty and that is returned to Microsoft with a copy of your receipt. You will receive the remedy elected by Microsoft without charge, except that you are responsible for any expenses you may incur (e.g. cost of shipping the Product to Microsoft). This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has
resulted from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use, or a virus. Any replacement Product will be warranted for the remainder of the original warranty period or thirty (30) days, whichever is longer. Outside the United States or Canada, neither these remedies nor any product support services offered by Microsoft are available without proof of purchase from an authorized international source. To exercise your remedy, contact: Microsoft, Attn. Microsoft Sales Information Center/One Microsoft Way/Redmond, WA 98052-6399, or the
Microsoft subsidiary serving your country.

LIMITED WARRANTY FOR PRODUCT ACQUIRED OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES OR CANADA.
FOR THE LIMITED WARRANTIES AND SPECIAL PROVISIONS PERTAINING TO YOUR PARTICULAR JURISDICTION, PLEASE REFER TO YOUR WARRANTY BOOKLET INCLUDED WITH THIS PACKAGE OR PROVIDED WITH THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT PRINTED MATERIALS.

10. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. The Limited Warranty that appears above is the only express warranty made to you and is provided in lieu of any other express warranties (if any) created by any documentation, packaging, or other communications. Except for the Limited Warranty and to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Microsoft and its suppliers provide the Product and support services (if any) AS IS AND WITH ALL FAULTS, and hereby disclaim all other warranties and conditions, either express, implied, or statutory, including, but not limited to, any (if any) implied warranties, duties or conditions of merchantability, of fitness for a particular purpose, of reliability or availability, of accuracy or completeness of responses, of results, of workmanlike effort, of lack of viruses, and of lack of negligence, all with regard to the Product, and the provision of or failure to provide support or other services, information, software, and related content through the Product or otherwise arising out of the use of the Product. ALSO, THERE IS NO WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF TITLE, QUIET ENJOYMENT, QUIET POSSESSION, CORRESPONDENCE TO DESCRIPTION, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT WITH REGARD TO THE PRODUCT.

11. EXCLUSION OF INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, AND CERTAIN OTHER DAMAGES. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL MICROSOFT OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS OR CONFIDENTIAL OR OTHER INFORMATION, FOR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, FOR PERSONAL INJURY, FOR LOSS OF PRIVACY, FOR FAILURE TO MEET ANY DUTY INCLUDING OF GOOD FAITH OR OF REASONABLE CARE, FOR NEGLIGENCE, AND FOR ANY OTHER PECUNIARY OR OTHER LOSS WHATSOEVER) ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY RELATED TO THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE PRODUCT, THE PROVISION OF OR FAILURE TO PROVIDE SUPPORT OR OTHER SERVICES, INFORMATON, SOFTWARE, AND RELATED CONTENT THROUGH THE PRODUCT OR OTHERWISE ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THE PRODUCT, OR OTHERWISE UNDER OR IN CONNECTION WITH ANY PROVISION OF THIS EULA, EVEN IN THE EVENT OF THE FAULT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY, BREACH OF CONTRACT, OR BREACH OF WARRANTY OF MICROSOFT OR ANY SUPPLIER, AND EVEN IF MICROSOFT OR ANY SUPPLIER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

12. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND REMEDIES. Notwithstanding any damages that you might incur for any reason whatsoever (including, without limitation, all damages referenced above and all direct or general damages), the entire liability of Microsoft and any of its suppliers under any provision of this EULA and your exclusive remedy for all of the foregoing (except for any remedy of repair or replacement elected by Microsoft with respect to any breach of the Limited Warranty) shall be limited to the greater of the amount actually paid by you for the Product or U.S.$5.00. The foregoing limitations, exclusions, and disclaimers (including Sections 9, 10, and 11 above) shall apply to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, even if any remedy fails its essential purpose.

13. LINKS TO THIRD-PARTY SITES. You may link to third-party sites through the use of the Product. The third-party sites are not under the control of Microsoft, and Microsoft is not responsible for the contents of any third-party sites, any links contained in third-party sites, or any changes or updates to third-party sites. Microsoft is not responsible for webcasting or any other form of transmission received from any third-party sites. Microsoft is providing these links to third-party sites to you only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply an endorsement by Microsoft of the third party site.

14. U.S. GOVERNMENT LICENSE RIGHTS. All Product provided to the U.S. Government pursuant to solicitations issued on or after December 1, 1995 is provided with the commercial license rights and restrictions described elsewhere herein. All Product provided to the U.S.
Government pursuant to solicitations issued prior to December 1, 1995 is provided with "Restricted Rights" as provided for in FAR, 48 CFR 52.227-14 (JUNE 1987) or DFAR, 48 CFR 252.227-7013 (OCT 1988), as applicable.

15. EXPORT RESTRICTIONS. You acknowledge that the Product is of U.S. origin and subject to U.S. export jurisdiction. You agree to comply with all applicable international and national laws that apply to the Product, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations, as well as end-user, end-use, and destination restrictions issued by U.S. and other governments. For additional information see http://www.microsoft.com/exporting/.

16. APPLICABLE LAW. If you acquired this Product in the United States, this EULA is governed by the laws of the State of Washington. If you acquired this Product in Canada, unless expressly prohibited by local law, this EULA is governed by the laws in force in the Province of Ontario, Canada; and, in respect of any dispute which may arise hereunder, you consent to the jurisdiction of the federal and provincial courts sitting in Toronto, Ontario. If this Product was acquired outside the United States, then local law may apply.

17. ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This EULA (including any addendum or amendment to this EULA which is included with the Product) are the entire agreement between you and Microsoft relating to the Product and the support services (if any) and they supersede all prior or contemporaneous oral or written communications, proposals, and representations with respect to the Product or any other subject matter covered by this EULA. To the extent the terms of
any Microsoft policies or programs for support services conflict with the terms of this EULA, the terms of this EULA shall control.

18. The Product is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and treaties. Microsoft or its suppliers own the title, copyright, and other intellectual property rights in the Product. The Product is licensed, not sold.

Si vous avez acquis votre produit Microsoft au CANADA, la garantie limitée suivante vous concerne :

GARANTIE LIMITÉE
Sauf pur celles du "Redistributables," qui sont fournies "comme telles," Microsoft garantit que le Produit fonctionnera conformément aux documents inclus pendant une période de 90 jours suivant la date de réception. Si une garantie ou condition implicite est créée par votre État ou votre territoire et qu'une loi fédérale ou provinciale ou État en interdit le déni, vous jouissez également d'une garantie ou condition implicite, MAIS UNIQUEMENT POUR LES DÉFAUTS DÉCOUVERTS DURANT LA PÉRIODE DE LA PRÉSENTE GARANTIE LIMITÉE (QUATRE-VINGT-DIX JOURS). IL N'Y A AUCUNE GARANTIE OU CONDITION DE QUELQUE NATURE QUE CE SOIT QUANT AUX DÉFAUTS DÉCOUVERTS APRÈS CETTE PÉRIODE DE QUATRE-VINGT-DIX JOURS. Certains États ou territoires ne permettent pas de limiter la durée d'une garantie ou condition implicite de sorte que la limitation ci-dessus peut ne pas s'appliquer à vous. Tous les suppléments ou toutes les mises à jour relatifs au Produit, notamment, les ensembles de services ou les réparations à chaud (le cas échéant) qui vous sont fournis après l'expiration de la période de quatre-vingt-dix jours de la garantie limitée ne sont pas couverts par quelque garantie ou condition que ce soit, expresse ou implicite.

LIMITATION DES RECOURS; ABSENCE DE DOMMAGES INDIRECTS OU AUTRES. Votre recours exclusif pour toute violation de la présente garantie limitée est décrit ci-après. Sauf pour tout remboursement au choix de Microsoft, si le Produit ne respecte pas la garantie limitée de Microsoft et, dans la mesure maximale permise par les lois applicables, même si tout recours n'atteint pas son but essentiel, VOUS N'AVEZ DROIT À AUCUNS DOMMAGES, NOTAMMENT DES DOMMAGES INDIRECTS. Les modalités de la clause «Exclusion des dommages accessoires, indirects et de certains autres dommages » sont également intégrées à la présente garantie limitée. Certains États ou territoires ne permettent pas l'exclusion ou la limitation des dommages indirects ou accessoires de sorte que la limitation ou l'exclusion ci-dessus peut ne pas s'appliquer à vous. La présente garantie limitée vous donne des droits légaux spécifiques. Vous pouvez avoir d'autres droits qui peuvent varier d'un territoire ou d'un État à un autre.

VOTRE RECOURS EXCLUSIF. L'obligation intégrale de Microsoft et de ses fournisseurs et votre recours exclusif seront, selon le choix de Microsoft de temps à autre sous réserve de toute loi applicable, a) le remboursement du prix payé, le cas échéant, pour le Produit ou b) la réparation ou le remplacement du Produit qui ne respecte pas la présente garantie limitée et qui est retourné à Microsoft avec une copie de votre reçu. Vous recevrez la compensation choisie par Microsoft, sans frais, sauf que vous êtes responsable des dépenses que vous
pourriez engager (p. ex., les frais d'envoi du Produit à Microsoft). La présente garantie limitée est nulle si la défectuosité du Produit est causée par un accident, un usage abusif, une mauvaise application, un usage anormal ou un virus. Tout Produit de remplacement sera
garanti pour le reste de la période de garantie initiale ou pendant trente (30) jours, selon la plus longue entre ces deux périodes. À l'extérieur des États-Unis ou du Canada, ces recours ou l'un quelconque des services de soutien technique offerts par Microsoft ne sont pas disponibles sans preuve d'achat d'une source internationale autorisée. Pour exercer votre recours, vous devez communiquer avec Microsoft et vous adresser au Microsoft Sales Information Center/One Microsoft Way/Redmond, WA 98052-6399, ou à la filiale de Microsoft de votre pays.

DÉNI DE GARANTIES. La garantie limitée mentionnée ci-dessus constitue la seule garantie expresse qui vous est donnée et remplace toutes autres garanties expresses (s'il en est) mentionnées dans un document ou sur un emballage. Sauf en ce qui a trait à la garantie limitée et dans la mesure maximale permise par les lois applicables, le Produit et les services de soutien technique (le cas échéant) sont fournis TELS QUELS ET AVEC TOUS LES
DÉFAUTS par Microsoft et ses fournisseurs, lesquels par les présentes dénient toutes autres garanties et conditions expresses, implicites ou en vertu de la loi, notamment (le cas échéant) les garanties, devoirs ou conditions implicites de qualité marchande, d'adaptation à un usage particulier, d'exactitude ou d'exhaustivité des réponses, des résultats, des efforts déployés selon les règles de l'art, d'absence de virus et de négligence, le tout à l'égard du Produit et de la prestation des services de soutien technique ou de l'omission d'une telle prestation. PAR AILLEURS, IL N'Y A AUCUNE GARANTIE OU CONDITION QUANT AU
TITRE DE PROPRIÉTÉ, À LA JOUISSANCE OU LA POSSESSION PAISIBLE, À LA CONCORDANCE À UNE DESCRIPTION NI QUANT À UNE ABSENCE DE CONTREFAÇON CONCERNANT LE PRODUIT.

EXCLUSION DES DOMMAGES ACCESSOIRES, INDIRECTS ET DE CERTAINS AUTRES DOMMAGES. DANS LA MESURE MAXIMALE PERMISE PAR LES LOIS APPLICABLES, EN AUCUN CAS MICROSOFT OU SES FOURNISSEURS NE SERONT RESPONSABLES DES DOMMAGES SPÉCIAUX, CONSÉCUTIFS, ACCESSOIRES OU INDIRECTS DE QUELQUE NATURE QUE CE SOIT (NOTAMMENT, LES DOMMAGES À L'ÉGARD DU MANQUE À GAGNER OU DE LA DIVULGATION DE RENSEIGNEMENTS CONFIDENTIELS OU AUTRES, DE LA PERTE D'EXPLOITATION, DE BLESSURES CORPORELLES, DE LA VIOLATION DE LA VIE PRIVÉE, DE L'OMISSION DE REMPLIR TOUT DEVOIR, Y COMPRIS D'AGIR DE BONNE FOI OU D'EXERCER UN SOIN RAISONNABLE, DE LA NÉGLIGENCE ET DE TOUTE AUTRE PERTE PÉCUNIAIRE OU AUTRE PERTE DE QUELQUE NATURE QUE CE SOIT) SE RAPPORTANT DE QUELQUE MANIÈRE QUE CE SOIT À L'UTILISATION DU PRODUIT OU À L'INCAPACITÉ DE S'EN SERVIR, À LA PRESTATION OU À L'OMISSION D'UNE TELLE PRESTATION DE SERVICES DE SOUTIEN TECHNIQUE OU AUTREMENT AUX TERMES DE TOUTE DISPOSITION DU PRÉSENT EULA OU RELATIVEMENT À UNE TELLE DISPOSITION, MÊME EN CAS DE FAUTE, DE DÉLIT CIVIL (Y COMPRIS LA NÉGLIGENCE), DE RESPONSABILITÉ STRICTE, DE VIOLATION DE CONTRAT OU DE VIOLATION DE GARANTIE DE MICROSOFT OU DE TOUT FOURNISSEUR ET MÊME SI MICROSOFT OU TOUT FOURNISSEUR A ÉTÉ AVISÉ DE LA POSSIBILITÉ DE TELS DOMMAGES.

LIMITATION DE RESPONSABILITÉ ET RECOURS. Malgré les dommages que vous puissiez subir pour quelque motif que ce soit (notamment, tous les dommages susmentionnés et tous les dommages directs ou généraux), l'obligation intégrale de Microsoft et de l'un ou l'autre de ses
fournisseurs aux termes de toute disposition du présent EULA et votre recours exclusif à l'égard de tout ce qui précède (sauf en ce qui concerne tout recours de réparation ou de remplacement choisi par Microsoft à l'égard de tout manquement à la garantie limitée) se limite au plus élevé entre les montants suivants : le montant que vous avez réellement payé pour le Produit ou 5,00 $US. Les limites, exclusions et dénis qui précèdent (y compris les clauses ci-dessus), s'appliquent dans la mesure maximale permise par les lois applicables, même si tout recours n'atteint pas son but essentiel.

La présente Convention est régie par les lois de la province d'Ontario, Canada. Chacune des parties à la présente reconnaît irrévocablement la compétence des tribunaux de la province d'Ontario et consent à instituer tout litige qui pourrait découler de la présente auprès des
tribunaux situés dans le district judiciaire de York, province d'Ontario.

Au cas où vous auriez des questions concernant cette licence ou que vous désiriez vous mettre en rapport avec Microsoft pour quelque raison que ce soit, veuillez contacter la succursale Microsoft desservant votre pays, dont l'adresse est fournie dans ce produit, ou écrivez à : Microsoft Sales Information Center, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, Washington 98052-6399.
0901 Part No. X08-44750