[ale] .NET

Eric Anderson eric.anderson at cordata.net
Sat Nov 2 22:20:20 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 19:55, Geoffrey wrote:
> > Mosiac > Netscape
>
> Mosaic truly was new so there's one example for you.  My reference to
> Netscape was that it took the explosion of Netscape for Microsoft to see
> it as a marketing tool.

I am not a Internet history buff or anything. But I am pretty sure that
I have read about previous hypertext systems prior to Mosaic. From what
I know (which might be very little) Mosaic just extended the previous
hypertext systems by providing a easy to user interface on the evolving
global network (Internet).

> > Emacs Lisp (or any small scripting language embedded in a app) >
> > Javascript
>
> Again, slap your emacs lisp into a browser.  Man, you've had too much
> coffee.

Not sure if I understand your comment. All I meant is that Emacs Lisp is
a small ( sort of :) ) scripting language in a application that provides
additional functionality. This is basically what Javascript is. Except
for the fact that Javascript is additional functionality delivered by
others instead of installed by you on your computer.

> Note the references above and chill dude.

I apologize if you feel that I was getting worked up. I was certainly
not by any stretch of the imagination. I was simply trying to add to the
discussion by adding the fact that no technology is really new. It is at
best, people extending old ideas to apply to new domains. That is what
all companies are trying to do. Sometimes they don't really add much,
other times they really change the way in which an idea applies.
Microsoft is occasionally able to do this just like Sun (and many other
companies).

--
Eric Anderson