[ale] .NET

Eric Anderson eric.anderson at cordata.net
Sat Nov 2 22:12:11 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 08:39, Geoffrey wrote:
> There is a difference though in that the java compiler creates a class
> file, whereas, in the example of Perl, it's all on the fly.

Actually I think Perl is actually compiled to machine code on the fly
not byte code compiled. Don't quote me on that, because I most likely
might be wrong. I'm just getting started in Perl. :)

But Smalltalk has the "image" file which was the bytecode that ran on
the virtual machine, and the "sources" file (I believe that is what it
was called) that contained the actual source. Similar to .class and
.java files. The difference between Smalltalk and Java is that Smalltalk
has on monolithic file that contained all the source and one that
contained all the byte-code for all the objects. But I am sure other
languages split it out way before Java did, and I would be pretty sure
there is probably a Smalltalk implementation out there that splits it
out into separate files also.

> No
> difference you might say, okay.  To be perfectly honest, I don't have
> the will to research this particular issue any further.  The main point
> of the thread from the start was questioning Microsoft as the
> 'inovative' company they claim to be.  They do nothing new, just copy
> successes of others, make them proprietary in order to extend their market.

Yea, and my point is that EVERYBODY claims to be leading edge,
innovative, and new when in fact just about EVERYBODY is borrowing from
older ideas. Often implementing them worse than when they were
originally done. The real new and innovative part is when they actually
are able to take existing good ideas and extending them to apply to new
areas. Microsoft has done that occasionally. Just like Sun has with
Java. The ideas were not new, but how they are extended is new because
with that extension they can now be applied to new areas making their
technology innovative.

--
Eric Anderson