[ale] Topic for next ALE NW meeting June 16th

Greg runman at telocity.com
Sat May 25 23:51:56 EDT 2002

David, Geoffrey, et al...:

	I just offered to help David in any way David wanted/needed.  Not sure
where/when/how I got promoted to a co-presenter or what not, but I am
officially bowing out except to help in any way David wishes.  I am nowhere
near a scripting guru.  David, dude, you are the man.  As for my topic at a
future date, ... ok I suggest the following (pick 1 please).

	1. A one to one match up of MS <---> Linux programs for the everyday user
who is trying to ditch MS and the many day to day programs we have all come
to know and love.  I will also deal  w/ options for the 1 or 2 MS programs
that HAVE to be ran ... or How I Stopped Using MS software for All My Needs
(except Quicken - which does have 2 (if not more) fine Open Source cousins).
Yes, I will mention Quake for Linux, the many office suites, mail clients,
Outlook substitutes, etc...

	2. A transparent firewall/bridge using OpenBSD, where transparent means the
box has no IP addresses and it just scrubs and filters packets and logs
stuff .. is also stateful .  I could even talk about ip - the OpenBSD
successor to ipf (think ipchains in the Linux world).  Yes, I know the "L"
in ALE is for Linux, but I haven't found a distro that is secure enough for
my paranoid, anti-cracker little brain to like for firewalls, though I will
be looking at Suse this week.  I use a box like this to complement my other
Linux based firewall.

	3.  A short How - To on installing Apache and setting up some simple web
pages using HTML.  Mainly for those wanting to just get into it or set it up
for a secure intranet.  Will also cover some features/capabilities and such.
	To keep it simple and secure, cgi/PHP/Java/Tomcat/etc won't be covered,
especially since I think newbies and some who don't know their limits forget
the considerable security that a webserver using server-side logic like
cgi/PHP/Java needs to have in place.  Time is also a consideration of course
(The Wife was a little concerned when I came home after midnight the last
time I attended).  Of course, this attitude may just be the results of the
many hours I have recently spent trying to keep out several hacks on my
machines or my excessive paranoia kicking in at this time.  Web security
would/could be in fact several presentations and is dependent on the
differing technologies and would/could also flow over to firewalls and such.
For that I would suggest a wonderfully practical and well written book
written by ALE's own Bob Toxen, "Real World Linux Security Intrusion
Prevention, Detection, and Recovery".  Other books on my shelves are "Linux
Firewalls - 2nd edition" by Ziegler, O'Reilly's "Practical Unix and Internet
Security" & their "Building Internet Firewalls" (the later seems kinda dated
to me).  If you only want to get one, get Bob's.  Most Linux admin books
have a chapter or so about security also. My Apache book is the one by Wrox
publishing.  *sigh* I don't have any or think there are any dealing with MS
security on the web (read IIS) - I mean publishers probably think "why waste
the paper" ??
	ok, I confess I do have an IIS book, but the security on IIS is crap.  Now
I feel better.