[ale] Burning Redhat 7.3 iso's

Jeff Layton laytonjb at bellsouth.net
Fri May 24 22:16:52 EDT 2002

Geoffrey wrote:

> Jeff Layton wrote:
> > Good Evening,
> >
> >    I'm trying to burn my own Redhat iso's for the first
> > time (I usually just buy some cheap ones off the net,
> > but I'm expanding :) I tried burning them using xcdroast
> > both with Disk-at-Once (DAO) and Track-At-Once
> > (TAO) since I couldn't find anything that told me how
> > they were created. No joy. Everytime I tried to mount
> > the CD I received the error,
> >
> > [root at home2 tmp]# mount /mnt/cdrom
> > mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
>
> Can you mount other cdroms in this way?

Sure can (checked some RH 7.2 disks that I bought).

> >    So, I searched the web for some help and looked at RH's
> > manual (Chapter 4) on how to make CDs. They mentioned
> > that you can use cdrecord directly via the command,
> >
> > cdrecord -v -eject speed=4 dev=0,0,0   disk1.iso
> >
> > (I'm trying to burn at 4x and my burner is device 0,0,0 found
> > via "cdrecord --scanbus" and disk1.iso is the iso I
> > downloaded). This didn't work either!
>
> Is the media you're using rated at 4x or better?  Try burning at speed=1
> or leave the speed option out and permit cdrecord to choose the speed.

Yes. Checked the specs and they are rated to 16x.

> post the output of 'cdrecord --scanbus'

[root at home2 tmp]# cdrecord --scanbus
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.22
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'ATAPI   ' 'CD-R/RW 8X4X32  ' '5.HV' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

> >    Does anyone have any suggestions on what I'm doing
> > wrong?
>
> Not yet, the above attempt looks like it should have worked.  I use the
> same, without the -eject, but I doubt that makes any difference.

What about the -data that Jeff H. suggested?

Thanks!

Jeff