[ale] vmware and W2K v. WXP

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun May 12 10:16:41 EDT 2002

I am working with them off and on. Unfortunately, the conversion process
is very non-trivial and I can't afford to do the entire development
process gratis right now. (I estimate about a full time month for a good
SQL developer who also understands accounting, which excludes me on both
fronts :-) They are in an awkward spot with their business right now so
the timing is not good for upheaval from a systems change.  That said,
they are a perfect candidate for a complete M$ -> Linux office
conversion. With only one application being the exception, everything
they do has a GPL'ed counterpart. That one app is mission critical for
their line of work, but it is also very likely to run under wine. It was
written for Win95/98 and is very simple.

I am working as time permits on a script to take a QB ascii dump and
insert it into an sql-ledger database. It's quite a learning process as
the number of pieces that don't match up is huge. QB is really
simplistic. Sql-ledger, was designed by someone who was very experienced
with large corporate accounting database systems. There are LOTS of
tables! QB is simple to look at but that makes it very hard to abstract
and break apart.