[ale] vmware and W2K v. WXP

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Wed May 8 22:35:29 EDT 2002

James P. Kinney III wrote:

> By running the app in a Vmware window, the security hole of granting
> admin privileges to a mere mortal is no longer an issue. The can have
> admin rights over the Vmware XP run, but they are still a mere mortal on
> the Linux box.
>
> True, the app just may refuse to run on XP. But the major cause of
> broken W2K apps on XP is the massive permissions rewrite.

How is XP different than Win2K in that sense, though?

In my mind at least, using VMware is a little like having a chroot
"jail,"  but in practice, people are going to tend to have some common
filespace between the XP instance and the machines you actually care
about.  In other words, the security hole can still be there.  VMware
WOULD, however, give you a better way to hem in the hole.

- Jeff