[ale] any other Mosix user's out there; if yes, 'coupla questions.........

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at flash.net
Wed May 8 09:44:06 EDT 2002

Vernard Martin wrote:

> > I am running 2.4.17 on debian and redhat.
> >
> > When redhat[7.2] installed the mosix kernel, it used redhat's
> > original kernel, [2.4.7-10], and is also utilizing initrd.
>
> Does redhat 7.2 have an actual option to install mosix or did you install mosix
> on top of an existing redhat 7.2 system?

I did compile it on top of RH7.2 but 2.4.17 is recommended [necessary ?
by Mosix].

> > Without causing havoc, can I edit lilo.conf to alter these
> > parameters ? If not, how can Mosix be forced to use the more
> > recent kernel ?
>
> My understanding of Mosix is that it is modificaitons to the existing redhat
> 7.2 kernel that enales the features of MOSIX. So once you have recompiled the
> kernel with these mods, you will need to edit lilo so that it boots the correct
> kernel that contains the mosix enhancements.

Again Mosix itself edited lilo but did so as to not use 2.4.17 but
rather RH7.2's stock kernel 2.4.7-10 [at least on my CDs].
I'll run with your suggestion of editing lilo.conf to indicate 2.4.17
rather than 2.4.7-10, and see what happens.

> > Also, of what value, if any, might be it's using initrd ?
>
> The initial ramdisk is used to load individual modules that are not compiled
> into the kernel at boot time. If you don't have any modules of this nature then
> you don't need to use it.

I'm not clear on this. Are you saying that any kernel you are running
that has any modules [i.e. not compiled in functions]
should have an initrd entry in lilo.conf regarding that particular
kernel ?

If yes, how should this be done, if I have a kernel that has modules but
no initrd entry in lilo.conf ?

Thank you for your kind attention.
Courtney

 I seem to recall that MOSIX compiled all of its