[ale] Weird keymapping problem

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu May 2 14:14:29 EDT 2002

Hi folks,

I have a Compaq Armada 1500 laptop running Slack 8.
It works like a charm, except for one annoying feature:
the place where I expect the Ctrl key to be is
occupied instead by the "Func" key that you have
to use to get at the numeric keypad and all the
other special keys that they couldn't cram into
the available keyboard space (so eg "Func-Y" is
keypad-4, etc.). The Ctrl key is about an inch to
the right of where I expect it, right by the space
bar.

I would very much like to remap these keys so that
Ctrl becomes "Func" and vice-versa. I tried
"showkey -s" and the "Func" key didn't generate a
scancode, so I'm afraid this is a problem that
can't be solved by software; but it never hurts
to consult the ALE brain trust before jumping
to such conclusions. Any advice? (BTW already
tried prying the keycaps off and swapping
them, no joy :-)

TIA,

-- Joe
    Any OS distinguishable from Windows is not sufficiently broken.