[ale] Recommendations/Caveats re: acquiring DSL service

aaron aaron at pd.org
Mon Mar 11 03:32:19 EST 2002

On Sunday 10 March 2002 19:24, you wrote:
> Courtney Thomas wrote:
> > Greetings !
> >
> > I'm in Atlanta and would appreciate any/all responses to the
> > prospect of getting new DSL service at home.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Courtney
>
> Have been very happy so far with DirecTV DSL.  No downtime in the past
> month and am using it with RH 7.1, OS/2 Warp 4 and when mandatory Win
> 98.  I think their address is www.directvdsl.com.

I can offer a strong second for DirecTV-DSL.

They acknowledge support for Linux, they give you a static IP address at
no extra cost and the DSL modem they provide is well designed. Given the
direct eNet connectivity (no pppoe), HTML based configuration and useful,
detailed status reports from the modem, I found they were very much a
Plugs Up and Runs Right (: PURR :) installation for Linux [RH 7.1 / 7.2].

I've found customer support has been solid as well. In some recent
experiences, the DirecTV-DSL service people have been exceptionally
accessable, attentive and perservering in getting BellSouth to
acknowledge and fix some long standing line problems with DSL delivery to
my home.**

The quality customer support has been a pleasant surprise, too. DirecTV
was buying out Telocity just at the time I was signing up for service
with the later. I expected corporate conglomerate syndrome would mean
severe service degradations like those I've experienced with Earthlink's
Mindspring takeover and many other large companies. However, with the
single exception of misplacing my original order in the corporate
shuffle, the DirecTV-DSL customer support and service has proved very
commendable.

peace
aaron

** (It's  taken 19 months of patience, installation attempts on all 3 of
my phone lines, numerous trouble reports and 3 ADSL modem swaps through 2
different service providers to get a reliable line, but I finally have a
consistent high speed connection delivering the advertised bandwidth.)