[ale] C on Linux

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 11 05:55:10 EST 2002

Charles Shapiro wrote:

> Uh, I use emacs to code in C here, although I generally go to the
> command line to test and do make(1). On a stock emacs distro, <ctrl>Z
> will put emacs in the background, so you can come back to it with fg (in
> bash) without reloading it from disk.

You are aware of Meta-x-shell, which allows you to do any
command-line task within a bash buffer inside emacs? Also,
Meta-x-compile-<compile command>, which invokes the given
compile command and provides you with a compilation-output
buffer, from which Ctrl-x-` takes you to the source file and
line of the error the cursor is on in the compilation output?
(I just think it's important for people to know these things :-)

[snip]

> For myself, I gotta love an editor which has a Towers of Hanoi
> simulation (Meta-X-"hanoi"), an adventure game (Meta-X-"dunnet"), and a
> psychotherapist simulation (Meta-X-"doctor") buried inside it.

Yeah, people who diss Microsoft for the flight sim hidden in
Excel and then go home and fire up emacs are hypocrites...

Cheers,
-- Joe
  Using open-source software: free.
  Pissing Bill Gates off: priceless.