[ale] cut

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Mon Mar 11 00:06:09 EST 2002

Okay, in keeping with the TIMTOWTDI philosofy, I decided to contribute this:

history | tr -s ' ' | cut -f3 -d ' ' | uniq -c | tr -s ' ' | cut -f2 -d ' '
| sort -nr | head

It resolves your spacing problem by using the command "tr" that squeezes
spaces (or whatever character you "-s"pecify.) into a single character.
It's quite useful:
tr -s " " = truncate x spaces into " " (a single space)

It's great for working with fields and it complements `cut` quite nicely.

just my .02 pfenning,
CB