[ale] OT - Entry Level Job Opening

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Tue Jul 30 10:05:25 EDT 2002

And as one of the original complainers, I should also say that if I were
still unemployed, I'd be the first to apply for the position. My attitude
was simply to let the webmaster of the site know that know that the site
could, in fact, be viewed by a recent Mozilla browser, and could [s]he
please add such detection to the browser validation function and not lock
us Mozilla/Netscape users out. In all the hubbub, I should have at least
expressed appreciation for a post I definitely could have used, say, two
months ago when I was still "on the street", and I apologize for not
saying so.

I suspect that what happened was that the older Netscape browsers (4.XX)
and maybe even the first Mozilla-based Netscape browser (6.0) choked on the
heavy DHTML-based menu systems, and based on witnessing that, the website
author simply gave up on Netscape's product offerings. Even with Galeon
1.2.5 (based on Mozilla 1.0), some of the menus have sluggish performance
on an older Pentium, but they do at least work.

The really resourceful ones on the list might, of course, recognize the
situation an a potential "business opportunity". Something tells me that
the situation could be remedied with several minutes' worth of JavaScript
encoding. Plenty of other websites, believe it or not, still use some of the
ugly text animation effects that were popularized by MSIE 4.0 and were
nowhere to be found in either Netscape's or W3C's playbook. Those sites
(including one of my former employers) are ripe for web makeover work.

p3323