[ale] OT - Entry Level Job Opening

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jul 30 08:22:27 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-07-29 at 23:23, Alan Bowman wrote:

>  I find it interesting that the last two times I posted job openings for
> this exact same job to this list, no one made comments about the
> website, or our shop being "dumb". All we got were stacks of resumes.
> Can I take this as a sign that the economy is picking up?

I wouldn't take it as a sign that the economy is picking up. It is much
more a reflection of the frustration and disgust with the current state
of affairs than anything. In fact, no one on this list who had
previously announced becoming unemployed has announced any change in
their employment status. That does not give me "warm fuzzies".

Also, in the last 9 months, there have been many new names appearing on
this list. Sometimes, these "youngsters" appear to have been raised by
TV sitcoms as evidenced by the "shoot from the hip" speaking tone in
posts.

And further, the last 9 months has seen a dramatic rise in web sites
built only for IE. I can attribute this directly to a lousy state of
mind in the management sectors. As the more experienced, and expensive,
general purpose, any platform Unix folks got laid off, the only weanies
left were the M$ crowd. Since the boss runs M$ on his desk, he is NOT
going to dump the person that can keep his machine going. Since things
are tight, it is cheaper to only develop for one platform, using known
tools that build for that one platform. So from the boss's standpoint,
should they build a website for the 90% of the masses for $X, or should
they build for 100% for $(X+Y)?

A manager I knew kept a quote on his desk in plain site at all times:
"99% of all business problems are caused by management." He was a pretty
good manager, too.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

 This is a digitally signed message part