[ale] DSL

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Mon Jul 22 03:04:21 EDT 2002

tom hawks wrote:
> How hard would it be for my girlfriend to log into my machine to surf
> the net from a different location? I have a DSL connection which is up
> all the time.

Assuming your box is Linux, her box can run a ssh session, and you know how to get through your firewall, it is rather easy.

A lot depends on what her box is, and where this "different location" is. (any why she is using the browser on your machine, instead of the one on the machine she is on!)

In general...
1) poke a hole in your firewall to point port 22 (ssh) to your linux box.
2) have her use a ssh client to log into your box.
3) (for X) export the display back to her box.
4) start the browser, surf away.

Other things needed along the way:
a known IP address for your box.

opt: dns lookup for your box.

Give us some more details on your setup, and ask some more specific questions.

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith