[ale] Question on IDE's

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Jul 17 16:38:19 EDT 2002

I've mentioned it before, but you may like jEdit (http://www.jedit.org).

While initially intended as a java editor, with UML class breakdown and
navigation and automatic save-to/open-from ftp file transfers among it's
nicer features, it supports a number of different languages (in the
100's).

The nicest thing about jEdit is its plugin architecture, and there are
many, many plugins available.  From interacting with CVS, emulating vi,
automating large builds with Ant, browsing database tables through jdbc,
auto-completing java, and executing python commands and scripts with the
embedded jython interpreter...you can do it all.

I can't compliment this editor enough.  It's saved me time and money, over
and over again.  It's also open source and has a very active community.

John