[ale] a good Fri afternoon OT post...

Kevin Krumwiede krum at smyrnacable.net
Fri Jul 12 21:40:24 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 16:38, tslane at attbi.com wrote:

> 3.  just in a broad sense what are your thoughts on
> this topic?

It's understandable that employers would have an "official" policy
against taking home items destined for the dumpster, especially when the
employees taking things home are the ones who determined the fate of the
items in the first place.  For one thing, I know that if I were going to
steal something valuable from my place of employment, I would simply
throw it in the trash and recover it after dark.  And second, even when
things are legitimately "broken", they might still be sensitive.  For
example, a hard drive might contain confidential information.

When I repaired Gen-III night vision equipment in the Marines, we had to
account for all the out-of-tolerance intensifier tubes, even though they
were destined for the trash.  I know that was a good policy because
those things were desirable enough (for obvious reasons!) that they
occasionally didn't make it to the dumpster even with the controls in
place... I'm sure costs went down considerably after they started
accounting for the things.

Krum