[ale] Good cheap tape drive? (was Re: [ale] Full filesystembackup to CD-R)

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Fri Jul 12 10:30:47 EDT 2002

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 08:57:22AM -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> I have and use and SWEAR BY the Ecrix drives. They are less than DLT
> drives, and store more than most DAT drives. With an uncompressed media
> size of 33G and a backup/restore rate of 3-6MB/s (depending on
> compression) it is a reasonably priced and sized alternative to the too
> small DAT and Travan and the outrageous DLT.

If anyone's interested, I have something like 50 of those 33gig tapes.
Used, but AFAIK they're all good as they were in active rotation when
Incanta folded.

Call it part of my severence package.  :)  (The VCs missed a few things
in their firesale.. and apparently ignored all of the tapes...)

I just can't justify spending $600 on a tape drive right now..

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                   pizza at f*cktheusers.org
I'm not broke, but I'm badly bent.                         ICQ #1318344

 PGP signature