[ale] OT - DSL

Mark Angeli webmaster at tinyminds.org
Fri Jul 12 09:13:43 EDT 2002

yea, but in a way it is Voice over IP.

We installed a pri line last year (One physical line, over 70 dedicated
numbers) and bellsouth was offering to let us do the same thing, the problem
is that then we loose half of the pipe our phones have meaning we have to
cut back the number of phones.

Its done by running a T1 (which has its own assigned circut number, so it is
actually voice over ip) and using a special card to vend it out. it then
plugs in to our norstream phone pbx system, which I can admin from my
computer.

For the phones it works great. The only down side is that Bellsouth has to
have an opening in the local office in order for you to be connected.

For business DSL, we just switched to Covad for SDSL because Bellsouth
doesn't offer SDSL and ADSL wasn't worth it.