[ale] DAT drives

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 12 01:49:14 EDT 2002

After the recent discussion about backups, I'm seriously
considering buying a DAT drive. Even if I can only get
an 8G one, the fact that tapes are only $6, compared to
$30 for my Travan, would mean that I could make more
comprehensive backups on a more regular basis.

I see some DAT drives advertised as being "4/16GB"
drives accepting 120M DDS2 media. Other drives that
accept the same media are advertised as "4/8GB".
I'm wondering if the "4/16" is a misprint or
just a lie (eBay, y'know). I've never seen any
backup manufacturer claim better than 2:1
hardware compression. So, does anyone know
what the deal is with those numbers?

Thanks,

-- Joe