[ale] virtual desktop and file sharing?

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 12 01:44:15 EDT 2002

Stephen Turner wrote:

> dude, vnc is awsome! i like that :) is there something however that lets
> you do the same thing AND file share? i.e. if i wanted to open the
> connection to my computer from a remote computer of a different os, could
> i drag and drop or transfer files? i would love that feature so i can do
> stuff at school and then send the file home, there are applications at
> school and os's that i dont have access to at home and would be nice to
> crossplatform and file transfer at the same time :) any suggestions?

VNC does not provide a file-transfer capability. It's
assumed that if you have a channel between two machines
that permits a VNC connection, you'll also be able
to use a mechanism like FTP or scp. There was some
discussion a while back about adding a protocol
plug-in facility to VNC that would allow one to
write add-on modules for file-transfer or whatever,
but I don't think it ever went anywhere.

Install ssh servers on all the machines involved. Use scp
to move files around, and while you're at it, tunnel your
VNC sessions over ssh as well. That's easy; it's described
on the VNC web site:

Cheers,

-- Joe