[ale] OT - DSL

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 10 13:22:24 EDT 2002

> > I have to agree about Bellsouth DSL.
>
> How's their tech support?  I ask because I have been with
> mindspring for years now, and using their DSL service for
> the last six months or so. I have been very satisfied with
> their tech support, but I must admit I suspect they are,
> at times, limiting my band width to about 150k/sec.
> I had no problem implementing pppoe to work with a dual
> boot Linux/Win2k box -- or at least my _son_ had no trouble
> getting everything to work. <grin>

I've been using Bellsouth DSl for about 3 months now. I actually have to speka
wel of their tech support. although they only support windows, everytime my DSl
went out for any reason, I was able to call them on the phone and eventually
speak to a human in tech support that was able to figure out what was wrong
with my line. Unfortunately, this happened 3 times in one 7 day period but it
did work. also, once I figured out what there sofware was doing, i was able to
have them diagnose problems under neath linux without having to switch back to
the windows machine. they were none the wiser.

One of the beauties of PPPoE is that it fundamentally looks like PPP so nothing
funky is really going on.

As far as bandwidth is concerned, i've gotten consistenly over 150k/sec but as
always, it deepends on which site I'm hiting.

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu) http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/
        "Anything worth fighting over is worth fighting dirty over"