[ale] ssh question

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 10 13:08:39 EDT 2002

Stephen Turner wrote:

> if ive got a program or utility on this computer and i wanted to ssh into
> a apache server that had nothing but enough to run apache, and didnt have
> that application, would that application still work on that server? like,
> using ssh, do i use my current computer that im sshing from to do the work
> on the server or do i use whats on the server i.e. just send it commands?
> just curious so i dont work myself into a corner :-p

SSH just gives you a (secure:) shell session on the target
machine. It's exactly as if you were sitting in front of
the console of the machine you're ssh'ing to. So you cannot
run any executables that aren't on the target machine.
You can, however, copy (scp) the exe you need to run from
the source machine to the target machine,
assuming both are the same architecture, OS, etc. (in
other words, you need to know that the executable
that runs on the amchine you're ssh'ing from will
also run on the target machine.) The ".etc" in
that line above can be a killer.

Cheers,

-- Joe