[ale] General Question on managing Orcad design archives

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 1 20:07:53 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 13:30, John Mills wrote:

> > Can you tell me about Orcad?  Is it OpenSource? I've been looking for an
> > OS board layout program.
>
> I don't know much about it, as I'm not a user, but basically it is a
> commercial product, not open source. I cruised the vendor's web archive,
> but found no notes nor user comments about archives nor configuration
> management. Phrostie is the one with an extensive list of open-source and
> Linux engineering resources. Perhaps he will leap in here with a 'FYI.'

I wish it were opensource, or atleast free, or alot less expensive then
the $10k+ it costs...  Its a very nice program.  For a low cost, or
"free" PCB cad program, Eagle (www.cadsoftusa.com) is pretty good.  They
even have a "not for profit" version which costs $125 or something and
can do up to 4 layer boards.  The autorouter sucks though...

Mike