[ale] Kernel Upgrade question

linux-clusters at mindspring.com linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 26 10:56:04 EST 2002

RedHat has also merged in all of the i2c and lm_sensors modules that
normally have to be compiled from seperate packages only available from
the lm_sensors project on sourceforge. So if you get latest kernels from
kernel.org then you would have to compile/install/boot that new kernel
and then get and buld the lm_sensors stuff seperately to again have
some semblance of approaching a RedHat kernel.

That said I never run the kernels packaged with distro's be they RedHat,
SuSE, or Debian. I always go get source and compile my own. I too recommend
applying any available Alan Cox patches. Right now I am running 2.4.18-pre3-ac2
rather than moving to 2.4.18-pre6 (current latest pre patch) because that
was the last ac patch available from Alan.

BTW, the latest kernel do have ext3 in them so that shouldn't be a concern.
There is actually an advantage. There was a fairly important ext3 patch
recently (within the last week or two) submited to the kernel mailing list.
This in everyone's opinion improved the stability of some weird corner cases
of ext3 so in my eyes this is pretty important to add to kernel source I
am going to run. This patch is not in any kernel from any distro so
rolling your own actually gives you a better kernel.
Steven A. DuChene		linux-clusters at mindspring.com
				sad at echelonsupercompute.com