[ale] Printing from RH7.1 to printer connected to SMC Barricade

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Jan 26 10:48:10 EST 2002

I have a remote printer in my network. Yours should work the same way as
the 802.11b should be a transparent network connection.

In printtool, my remote printer is called HP. It's an HPbusiness inkjet
2200. The queue type is LPD. The server is the hostname of the machie it
is parallel-plugged into. The driver is selected from the dropdown list
(after I explicitly built an RPM for ghostscript that include support
for this monster). I use the default driver options.

On the server, I have the same setup except the queue type is local
printer with the correct port selected.

Then in server:/etc/hosts.lpd I have a list of all the machines allowed
to use the printer connected to the server. Each print server has this
file. It can have IP's or fully-qualified domain names or aliases from
the /etc/hosts file.