[ale] Partitions

jeff hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Mon Jan 21 10:48:52 EST 2002

Leonard Thornton wrote:

> OK, I admit it.....I'm lazy.  I also like to keep things very simple.
> On a personal machine (home variety), I have 3 Linux partitions:
>
> /boot 20Mb
> <swap> 256Mb (256Mb memory in machine)
> / (remainder of 8Gb drive).
>
> That's all....I have not found a good reason on a home machine to futher
> partition the drive for /usr, /home, /var, etc....

This is a perfectly fine way to operate, albeit suboptimal (but by so
little that it's just not going to matter).  When setting up a machine
for home use, that's about all I do unless I'm dealing with multiple
drives and I'm dealing with either a space-limitation or
performance-improvement issue.

- Jeff