[ale] php/mysql install hell

Benjamin Dixon beatle at arches.uga.edu
Sun Jan 6 19:17:17 EST 2002

My guess would be PHP just wants to know either where the header files for
mysql are or the libraries and will have little concern for client apps,
etc etc. Its been awhile since I compiled the latest PHP so I don't recall
exactly but located the libs and passing them on to php shouldn't be a
problem.

Ben

On 6 Jan 2002, Jim Philips wrote:

> I have a RedHat 7.2 distro. I'm trying to upgrade Apache/PHP/MySQL.
> MySQL refuses to compile on my system. So, I installed the latest
> version using rpm. So far, so good. But when you configure PHP for
> compilation, it wants to know where MySQL is to compile in support. The
> assumption is that all the pieces of MySQL are under one directory. But
> RedHat, in its wisdom, scatters the pieces in different places. The
> client programs are in /usr/bin. The headers are in /usr/include/mysql.
> And the data files are in /var/lib/mysql. Given this, I see no way to
> compile MySQL support into PHP. I have an installation now, but
> phpinfo() indicates that PHP expects many things to be in /usr/local and
> they aren't. So, if I run any PHP page that needs the database, it just
> seg faults. Any ideas?
>

> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

 "Dont critisize a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes,
 that way when you critisize him you're a mile away and have his
shoes."

    - unknown