[ale] Wireless Design Suggestions

Benjamin Dixon beatle at arches.uga.edu
Tue Dec 31 13:33:38 EST 2002

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, attriel wrote:

> (I can't do the VPN solution that was suggested for you and someone else,
> since then I'd have 4 servers choking through 1 machine for their
> throughput, and they need realworld addresses so people can hit them :/)

If you're hosting over DSL with (I'm guessing) the usual 256kbit upstream,
your choke is at the DSL and not any machine inbetween. For any wireless
setup, it seems to me the VPN is by far the best way to go as it offers a
high level of security versus WEP or obfuscation. Maybe I'm just paranoid
but putting the wireless bridge between the two networks in the center of
your home network and NOT using some sort of strong encryption would be a
mistake. I live in Augusta, which one would not think of as a hotbed of
wireless tech or geeks. Driving around with just a laptop or ipaq (not
even the pringles or coffee can!), I've discovered approximately 15 APs
downtown alone, very few of them are even WEP encrypted and a lot use
DHCP. Apparently people open the box, pop in the power and go with
absolutely no idea or no concern for the safety of their data. Even more
disconcerting is, these are businesses... accounting firms, construction
firms, real estate agents, etc. etc. How do I know? Because the ones that
do actually change their broadcast names have a tendency to change them to
the name of their business or office.  I can guarantee you, if you're
putting something out there over wireless, somebody is looking.

Ben