[ale] recruiter salary questions

Andrew Newton anewton at ecotroph.net
Fri Dec 27 08:11:36 EST 2002

If a co-worker that didn't work for HR was holding my previous salary
information over my head, he/she would have much more to worry about
than I do.  Calling my previous employers under the guise of doing an
employment check when there has been no authorization for it is probably
wire fraud.  And if I wasn't calm enough to involve the police or my
lawyer, I would probably involve my sledge hammer.

Second, as a manager... if an employee came to me to turn in a co-worker
with allegations of salary-hyping, my first question would be "Just how
did you get this information?"  If the answer was anything other than
"He told me" there would be problems for that employee.

-andy

Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> Not only that, but if someone did find out that you weren't honest in
> your salary history, they could hold it over you as a "trump card" in
> the event that you crossed them (in some political way).  Few things
> would suck more than having the "guy at work that you hate because he
> doesn't know squat and is too nosey" trump you by having found out that
> you lied about your salary history.  One cue to HR and IMHO it would be
> a terminable offense.  It's in your best interest to just come forward
> with what you know.  If you don't have what it takes to get the job,
> you'll walk away from it motivated, and you'll strive harder.  If you
> get the job by lying, you'll live in shame and always question yourself
> and how you got where you are -- and -- always worry about being
> "discovered".
>
> There's a reason your parents taught you about ethics and integrity.  As
> my father used to say, "... the older that I got, the smarter my father
> got - and he's been dead for 10 years now".
> It wasn't until I realized the value of experience that his statement
> made any sense...
>
> HTH,
> -CB

 S/MIME Cryptographic Signature