[ale] Linux chosen for Sony & Panasonic Collaboration

aaron aaron at pd.org
Fri Dec 20 22:47:52 EST 2002

Full Headline:
Matsushita and Sony to Collaborate on Development of Linux Platform for
Digital Home Electronic Devices

Excerpt:
"While Linux is well known as an operating system for personal computers
and servers, today it is also finding applications in the area of digital
home devices. Therefore, users expect even shorter start-up times and
improved response. The two companies plan to study the functions and
performance required for digital home electronic devices, and develop a
Linux platform that meets those requirements."

Full article at:
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200212/02-1218bE/index.html

Note the official sony.net address. The article also confirms that the
platform(s) will be properly licensed under GPL .

Being a bit of a media guru I find this news especially exciting. I think
A/V media production and delivery apps are will be the next big Penquin
nesting grounds.

peace
aaron