[ale] OT: H1B

Matty matty91 at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 20 22:48:29 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 16:11, ahuitzot at mindspring.com wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:30:46 -0500 "Mazukna, Thomas"
> <Thomas.Mazukna at delta.com> wrote:
>
> > then you have to sell that BMW and go work for
> > 40k/y as H1B does or find
> > another field.
>
> Tell that to someone that lives in California, or Boston (or one of the many
> other locations that have very high costs of living) and they will shoot you.
> I used to live in California and I know for a FACT that its damn near
> impossible to live on $40K a year there.  Hell I moved back to Atlanta exactly
> for that reason,  I lost my job, and the unemployment check would have not
> even been able to pay rent! (I actually would have been  over $500 in the hole
> after rent, that would have left me NEGITIVE $500 to pay bills and buy food.)
> The above asertion is rediculous for just that reason.
>
> I do not have a BMW (nor could I ever afford one)  I have a honda civic.  What
> should I have in your opinion?  Maybe a pinto?  What car do you drive?  (The
> H1B's at my previous job had brand new BMW's)

I have a Geo Prizm, and my car is sweeeeeeet :)

> I do now have a job (after nearly a year of searching) and I took a VERY LARGE
> pay cut to get it too.  It what I get payed keeps me fed, but I will tell you
> I am not by any means helping the economy by going out and buying things that
> I used to.
>
> > everybody is affected by economy downturn, and
> > everybody have to change.
>
> And if we change in such a way that we no longer can spend what we used to be
> able to spend (because we cannot get a job that pays like it used to) the
> economy will never return to its old level.  Its just not possible.
>
> > IT market was oversaturated by people who
> > finish 3 month VB course and call
> > themselves software developer. I do not see any
> > threat to people with good
> > skills and broad skill set college degree and
> > experience.
>
> Heh, tell that to my Dad.  He was in the telecom industry (rest its soul), and
> has not been able to get a job since he was layed off.  The telecom industry
> is practicly non existant now.
>
> > US is like a gold mine for people from less
> > fortunate countries. This is a
> > land of opportunities, do not be afraid to take
> > them. I would have stayed
> > back home if I had a decent life there.
> > What I see is that immigrants/H1bs and even
> > illegals put in 150% effort,
> > hard work look for opportunities and succeed in
> > creating a better life for
> > themselves.
>
> I resent that.  For as long as I have worked, and at every job I worked at, I
> constantly work 9 and 10 hr days.  The H1B's at my office usually left right
> at 5:00 unless my boss threatened them.  Dont get me wrong, they were good
> guys (one of them stayed as long as I did usually) but they only put in the
> minimum required amount of effort.
>
> > Some citizens on the other hand whine and try
> > to blame everything on someone
> > else. Get your ass of the couch and do
> > something. people get spoiled so
> > fast.
>
> Its not a question of being spoiled, its a question of keeping the same
> standard of living as we used to have(or even close to it).  Before the
> downturn, I lived in a somewhat nice appartment in California, and could get
> toys when I wanted to (read I could boost the economy by buying things I
> really did not need).  Now me and my family live with my parents here in Ga.
> I am glad I have them, or I would be out on the street now.  I am still
> recovering from not having a job for 9+ months.  Its a slow recovery, but I
> hope to be out on my own again.
>
> > I am not judging anybody, this is just a
> > tendency I see here.
>
> Looks like you have judged to me.  You juged me and all the others with
> similar point of views as "whiners".  I do not like that very much.
>

> > Tomas
>
> Mike
Ryan Matteson - UNIX Administrator
GPG ID: 1B52A210 2002-12-01 Ryan Matteson (Primary Key Pair)
<matty91 at bellsouth.net>
Public Key: http://www.daemons.net/~matty/public.asc
Detached Digital Signature: http://www.daemons.net/~matty/public.sig.asc
Fingerprint = A0B1 298E 29C4 3F26 01D5  EDFC 3D62 281F 1B52 A210