[ale] Home Depot, we hardly knew ye...

aaron aaron at pd.org
Wed Dec 18 01:20:18 EST 2002

I can pretty much guarantee that the deciding factors and technology were
all NCR and nothing of Micro$haft (beyond the criminal monopolization of
the front office, that is). Point of Sale and Scanners and, oh yes, Cash
Registers are what NCR is all about. I've worked on several video and
media sales presentations for the company and, beyond killing their
potential with M$ dependencies, they seem exceptionally focused and
competent in their market. Interesting to note that IBM is probably their
most significant competitor.

As a techno geek I found the technology behind some of their bar code
scanners was pretty fascinating as well. I remember a couple models had
really ingenious methods for concisely tracing a single laser beam
pattern through 3D space a couple hundred times a second. Some of my
challenges in the media projects included creating video and 3D
animations that demonstrated the inner workings.

peace
aaron