[ale] Now that DirecTV DSL is discontinuing...

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Dec 18 09:16:34 EST 2002

Jay Finch wrote:

> 3) What is the major diff between PPPoE vs Static?  I keep hearing
> hullabaloo about how much PPPoE sucks, but I haven't noticed any reasons
> other than the inconvenience factor.  (Plus I use an external Firewall,
> so a USB device wouldn't work for me, and I understand BS.N has a lot of
> those USB DSL modems)

I've heard that pppoe can cost you up to 20% of your throughput.  It's
also an extra, unnecessary process on your box.

> 4) Anything else that could be shared re: these providers?  Are there
> any others I should consider?

I've been very pleased with speedfactory.  I work from home, so I have a
very good idea of the availability.  I've been with them since atlnet
went toes up and I've NEVER had a major outage (>30 minutes).

I personally would stay away from Bellsouth.  They are the local
monopoly and that should be enough reason to go elsewhere.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...