[ale] OT: DIRECTV DSL R.I.P.

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Mon Dec 16 12:11:22 EST 2002

I had my own "moment of silence" for DIRECTV DSL.  I was all gung-ho to sign
up with Telocity back when they didn't require a multi-month contract and
explicitly supported Linux.  Only after Bell$outh started mucking with my
neighborhood switch box did I start seeing major problems, which led me to
cancelling service (well, that and my then-prolonged unemployment).  I
realize that some of you all out there had bad experiences w/DIRECTV DSL,
but mine was mostly favorable.

The big thing that killed DTVDSL was the failure of the Dish/DIRECTV merger
attempt failure.  After the feds nixed it and the merger agreement expired,
Hughes felt like it needed to increase its profitability for the
shareholders, and the DSL unit became the proverbial sacrificial lamb.

I noticed that Speakeasy is offering to transition DIRECTV customers, but
nothing from either BellSouth or EarthLink (yet).  Check back with
www.DIRECTVDSL.com tomorrow afternoon for their transition plans ...