[ale] OT: H1B

Matty matty91 at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 16 11:52:55 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 09:33, ahuitzot at mindspring.com wrote:
> I usually do not reply to this kind of krap, but I will make an exception this
> time.  I do think that the person who made the "hotel patel" comment was a bit
> extreme, and I would possibly take that as a racist comment.
>
> But on the subject, I will state, and this is from my experience and factual
> evidence, I DID NOT LOOSE MY JOB DUE TO H1B VISAS.  I lost it because the CEO
> of the company decided to OUTSOURCE the company's software development to
> another country.  EVEN THE H1B'S where I worked LOST THEIR JOB.  THE H1B is
> not the problem.  Its the corprate mentality to get the job done as cheap as
> it can be, reguardless of the human factor that is killing the US economy and
> our jobs.

You can thank the new "Global Economy" and the Republicans for that ;)

The H1B's may be beneficial in other areas, I am sure they are not
> just extending them because of the software industry (almost nonexistant one
> at that), I am sure there are other industries in the US in dire need of
> qualified workers, and since the colleges and technical schools have all been
> pushing IT, there very well could be a shortage of qualified people in other
> areas.  Of course I could also be talking completely out my ass on that one.
>

> So how many people on this list actually lost their job due to an H1B?  Can
> you prove thats why?
>
> Oh, and BTW, people with H1B's are people too, maybe if you got to know one
> and became friends with one (like I did at my previous job) you may actually
> decide to treat them like people and not outcasts.  Stop reacting from fear
> and ignorance (of loosing your job or whatever) and instead act with
> intelligence and kindness.
>
> Mike
>
> On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 08:01:13 -0500 Irv Mullins <irvm at ellijay.com> wrote:
>
> > On Monday 16 December 2002 12:53 am, Benjamin
> > Scherrey wrote:
> >
> > > You people are a bunch of pathetic racist
> > losers who don't have a clue as
> > > to what you are talking about. These are the
> > same arguments that have been
> > > used to support segregation and attacks on
> > minority owned businesses. Why
> > > don't you all go move to Zimbabwe where you
> > will find your views more more
> > > in line with the present government? They
> > really don't belong on this list
> > > or in America.
> > >
> > > 	Ben Scherrey
> >
> > Hmm. Seems to me that the pathetic loser is the
> > one who has to hang ugly
> > labels on people because he cannot counter
> > their arguments with facts.
> >
> > American citizens have certain rights - in the
> > US -, just as Mexican, French ,
> > etc citizens do in their own countries. Rights
> > that I, as a US citizen, DO
> > NOT EXPECT to have if I am a visitor to their
> > countries.
> >
> > Are the French racists because innkeepers
> > demand your passport?
> > Are the Mexicans racists because they won't let
> > foreigners own land
> > near the ocean? Or because they expect
> > foreigners to pay for their own
> > college education? Why, you can't even go to
> > Mexico and stay for
> > an unlimited time without having to report
> > periodically to renew your visitor
> > status. How draconian!
> >
> > No, they're not racists. They have laws, and
> > those laws do not give visitors
> > the same rights as citizens. There's no reason
> > they should. Unless a country
> > is in dire need of labor, there's no reason
> > that country should provide *any*
> > benefits whatsoever to non-citizens.
> >
> > Irv

Ryan Matteson - UNIX Administrator
GPG ID: 1B52A210 2002-12-01 Ryan Matteson (Primary Key Pair)
<matty91 at bellsouth.net>
Public Key: http://www.daemons.net/~matty/public.asc
Detached Digital Signature: http://www.daemons.net/~matty/public.sig.asc
Fingerprint = A0B1 298E 29C4 3F26 01D5  EDFC 3D62 281F 1B52 A210