[ale] Linux on Compaq 5070

Greg runman at telocity.com
Sun Dec 15 19:54:38 EST 2002

Compaq uses a BIOS program on a slice of the disk to handle bios functions.
The only way to get around it is to put in another hard drive and this
forces a BIOS-like screen to come up, though I think that you can only
approve / disapprove of the difference.  Go to the Compaq site and download
the program if you wish.  I personally don't use it and drive on.

I just made a Dell P-II 233 w/ 64 M of RAM a Samba file/print/CD-RW server
for a client.  I have also done likewise to lesser machines.  I would
suggest using a boot floppy and rawwrite or an ftp install (yes, it is
easy).  rawwrite comes with all distros and you can Google for it also.

Good Luck

Greg Canter