[ale] Changing Sendmail's IP address

Transam transam at verysecurelinux.com
Fri Dec 13 21:17:06 EST 2002

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 12:11:36PM -0500, Jonathan Chum wrote:
> AOL v8.0's new two click SPAM reporting does not filter, but block an entire
> IP address. According to the representative I spoke to, it makes it so easy
> for not so savvy Internet users to report SPAM expecting it block or filter
> from this specific host from reaching their box, but instead, it blocks it
> so it doesn't even enter the AOL's net space. So it could been have
> legitimate emails that's been reported as junk mail and so the sender is
> blocked from sending to any other AOL user.

Have you tried to contact AOL and get them to unlock your IP?  Certainly,
if you have another mail server you could specify it as the "smart relay host"
with the "DS" macro but that probably is not the best solution.  Contact me
offline if you need more help.

> So now there's some 400 accounts we are hosting wailing how they cannot send
> to an AOL user since Sendmail was setup to utilize 1 IP address.

> Is there a way to configure Sendmail to send email through another IP
> address without changing the server's IP address? What about each email
> that's delivered will be sent out through the IP address in which the
> sender's hosting account is hosted on? Is that possible with Sendmail?

> This new AOL policy is a good way to kill off competiting ISPs by blocking
> email transmissions to their servers. I would they could just have filtered
> the IP address for that one particular user who reported it.

No, it's a way to kill off ISPs that support spam.  It will become even
more important in 2003 when spam messages will outnumber legitimate mail.

Bob Toxen
bob at verysecurelinux.com                [Please use for email to me]
http://www.verysecurelinux.com         [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]

"Microsoft: Unsafe at any clock speed!"