[ale] Regarding replies to the list...

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Dec 9 11:29:45 EST 2002

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, attriel wrote:

> I like it the way it is; I want to reply to a comment, so i hit reply.  I
> want to reply NOT to the list, i do an extra step (reply all; delete ale)
> ... I'd assume that the majority of ale-based responses are actually going
> back to the list, so it makes sense for that to be the default
> functionality.

But *you*, the replier, make those decisions. You can do that whether or not
Reply-To is set....

What setting Reply-To to the list removes is the ability for the
message sender to route replies. If I'm posting something which I think
should be replied to on the list, I'll set:

If I'm posting something which I think should be posted, but which I want
replied to personally, rather than on the list, I'll set:

Having the MLM munge Reply-To automatically removes this capability, and it
is a capability which I use with better-configured lists....

later,
chris