[ale] Re: [ale-admin] hello

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Aug 20 23:00:13 EDT 2002

You will have better response if you subscribe and post to the ale list,
rather then the ale-admin list.  The ale-admin list is for adminstrative
issues regarding the ALE organization, email lists and web site.

I'll forward your email to the ale list, and those who might assist will
need to respond to you as well as the list.  I've made a few suggestions
below.

barbara benedict wrote:
> I am trying to install linux mandrake 8.2 from downloaded disc images
> from their server. I have been hung up at the point when it tests the
> screen 4 times in a row.

I assume this is when you're attempting to set up the X windowing
system?  You'll need to provide more information, like the kind of video
card and monitor you have.

> It sure looks like a great operating
> system..................... if you can get it installed.

It is a great OS.  Once you get over the initial hump you'll do okay.  I
did two installs yesterday.

> At this rate
> it'll take forever. Can you make any suggestions. I have an amdk62350
> mhz processor and 192 megs of ram. Are these kinds of issues addressed
> at the linux meetings?  Thanks for listening......

Yes, this is something you might get help with at a meeting.  We did a
SuSE install at the ALE-NW meeting a couple of months ago.

Subscribe to the list and 'listen' for further suggestions.  Also, you
might want to post more info regarding your system as I outlined above.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net