[ale] Midnight Commander's undelete

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Tue Aug 20 00:35:59 EDT 2002

Not to be argumentative. Below is a note from someone saying that Midnight
Commander will not work on ext3.

I installed "mc" and got it to run. I found the Undelete selection under
"Command" I hit it, typed in hda5 (the partition I wanted undeleted) and it
said "undelfs error: Could not open file /dev/hda5" then, "Error: Could not
chdir to /#undel:hda5"

Am I doing something wrong?
Drew
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 11:19:31AM -0400, Justin Zygmont wrote:
> how about midnight commander, does anyone know if it will still undelete?

Midnight's undelete has the same limitations as debugfs, since it's
using the same approach.

The real problem is that ext3 isn't saving the block numbers in the
inode after the inode is deleted, which means that the debugfs and
midnight commander undelete schemes can't work.

If you use e2image to save snapshots of the filesystem metadata, you
can use that to recover from deleted files that existed before the
e2image metadata snapshot was taken.  The real answer though is to
keep regular backups of your data....

                                                - Ted