[ale] gentoo emerge update question

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Tue Aug 20 00:23:14 EDT 2002

trying to update one of my boxes running gentoo with the command:
emerge update

getting the following:

Calculating dependencies !!!  Couldn't find match for update; aborting.

Anyone know what this means?  what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
John

(rash question warning: haven't researched this too much as I'm in a bit
of a bind with a project I'm working on.  So, it may be a very simple
oversight on my part.  haven't administered this box since I set it up,
and I'm only going on recollection of emerge commands.  from the man
page, this would seem to work ;))