[ale] Building a server for a harsh-ish environment

Bill Sirinek bill at sirinek.com
Fri Aug 16 20:23:18 EDT 2002

Have you considered buying one of today's slower systems (maybe a 750 Duron or
something) and then spending a few extra bucks for a serious processor
cooling kit(*) like the overclockers use? So just run at the rated processor
speed and the cooling kit would help you keep the processor cool.

The rest of the system is an issue too. Just make sure your power supply and
hard drive(s) have plenty of space to breathe. So think about a large case.

You'll spend extra money on the fan and case but hey if you need the system to
be up all the time and the room will be hot sometimes, it will be worth it.

Bill

(* i dont know one in particular, check some overclocking sites)