[ale] OT:slightly-Solaris system recovery system

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 14 16:16:08 EDT 2002

Greg wrote:

> I would suggest using raid.  I mean once you erase data, it is gone forever,
> unless 1) you only erased a "reference" to the data and it is still there or
> 2) you have it somewhere else.  The parity function in raid allows this to
> happen.  Of course you could keep an infinite list of what you changed and
> the old values/whatnot - but it seems this is just a mild form of
> cvs/version control - MS style, - and you pay for it in disk space, btw.

I don't think RAID will defend you against willful stupidity :-)
The only defense against a sysadmin who is *actually afraid* he
might do rm -rf /, is a comprehensive backup routine. I mean,
if you do rm -rf /, your data on a RAID array will be just as
gone as if it were on a single drive. The real solution is not
to let such a person anywhere near the box in question!

-- Joe

> A cheap trick is to set up the Solaris box so deletion just puts stuff into
> a temp directory that deletes the oldest stuff on a cron job.
>
> Question ....  once you change the system (he *IS* doing updates/patches,
> right ?) you would have to make a new ISO image or do *all* of the patches
> to that one old image, yes ??
>
> My .02 Euros worth is go RAID 5.

 "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
 sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and the
 leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - J. Knapka