[ale] Sun,Linux,Java, oh my

Prasanna Subash subash at skyline.external.hp.com
Mon Aug 12 10:42:52 EDT 2002

Yeah, they used to have it enabled to support java via Kaffe, in the 2.2
kernel series. As java fell out of its vogue, that has been deprecated in the
kernel. I remember when 2.2 was released all magazines talking about OS level
java support.

On Sunday 11 August 2002 18:10, phrostie wrote:
> i seem to recall there being an option for this already.
> next time you build a kernel look for something called alternate binary
> support or something like that.
>
> On Sunday 11 August 2002 13:45, you wrote:
> > So I was just reading a post on slashdot about Sun maybe releasing their
> > own brand of Linux, and I got to thinking, would there be anyway to write
> > a kernel mod that would directly support Java code. Basically to fuse
> > Java(JVM) into the core of Linux to make it REALLY fast, more server side
> > apps than client apps.  Or just a way in general to really tie the two
> > together and make it fly? Any thoughts? Or maybe even rewrite the Kernel
> > so that it nativly supported Java class files, or maybe kinda like an
> > applicance type thing.
> >
> > Just some thoughts...what do you guys/gals think...
> >
> > PS I will send a shinny new penny to anybody who can tell me(with out
> > cheating), what Sun stands for.
> >
> > --cade
> >
> > On Linux vs Windows
> > Remember, amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic!
> > be sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

Prasanna Subash            |
Linux, the choice          | Campbell's Law:  Nature abhors a vacuous
of a GNU generation   -o)  | experimenter.
Kernel 2.5.15          /\  |
on a i686             _\_v |