[ale] gentoo lunix?

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Aug 7 08:27:16 EDT 2002

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, George Johnson wrote:
>
> > I just got Slackware installed including X with Nvidia driver for Gforce3.
> > I guess now it is time to try my hand at Gentoo then to see how much fun
> > that is.
>
> You're a Slackware user now. Why on earth would you mess up a good
> thing??? Take a deep breath and think about it man!!! Don't do it!!!

I didn't see a smiley. Are you serious?

I was planning on evaluating Gentoo. I've been a Slack user from the beginning
and use it on all of my machines, primarily because I understand it inside
and out.

However in some ways it's showing its age. I find the emerge and apt-get
mechanisms interesting. Sometimes I have to fight to install software because
Slack doesn't have the supporting components installed.

I'd be interested in hearing opinions of gentoo especially from longtime Slack
users. I've been meaning to get a maching going with a gentoo install, but I
just haven't found the time to get it rolling yet.

BAJ