[ale] OT: Microsoft moves to comply with DOJ settlement deal]

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Aug 6 14:07:46 EDT 2002

As usual, Microsoft is doing it their way.  I've left the comments of
the original poster as they have some insight, but check out the url for
yourself.

Hi all,

This came over a bit ago, courtesy of Computerworld. I strongly suggest
using the link within the story to M$' press release. It's rather disturbing
reading for a couple of reasons. First, they are getting royalties for the
material they release to competitors, etc. It seems to me they should have
to do this gratis, given that they appear to have escaped a fine; the second
thing is the APIs will also be fee-based, and lastly, there is a digital
rights provision in the referenced SPs that allows M$ access to your box for
what ever reason! This was confirmed on the list and through the Register,
and to no one's surprise, not mentioned by M$ in this release. I cannot
accept any argument for IP rights in this case. For the most part it is old
technology anyway, and moreover, could almost be viewed as an "accessory" to
the crime! Fees my ass. It is unbelievable at this stage of the game they
are still being rewarded for bad behaviour, let alone being able to access
your machine via some questionable EULA "rights"... UGH!

Anyway, read it and weep...

Microsoft moves to comply with DOJ settlement deal

The software giant plans to make previously undisclosed Windows interfaces
and
protocols available to developers and competitors this month.

http://computerworld.com/newsletter/0%2C4902%2C73255%2C0.html?nlid=PM

Jeff

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net