[ale] Q: Some compilation and execution environment settings

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Tue Aug 6 13:59:29 EDT 2002

ALErs -

I think I understand that 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH' does (adding to the search
paths in '/etc/ld.so.conf' I have assumed), but I've just encountered
another: 'LD_PRELOAD' -- what does that achieve?

I have encountered it as a way to ensure that a specific library is linked
during compilation, regardless of lib search-path sequencing. Is that
reasonable?

It must also be used to seek executable libraries, as it creates a
conflict when I try to use it in a cross-compilation. Is there some
equivalent way to force a library choice in cross-compilation, without
preventing the host from using its native equivalent?

More generally, where are these types of switches documented? I've met
'LD_LIBRARY_PATH' before, but I didn't turn up any guidance on
'LD_PRELOAD'.

Thanks.
 - John Mills